Export DBML diagram to HTML

I would like to propose a feature that allows the user to export diagrams to HTML.
Zipped HTML pack should contain DBML code, CSS, JS and other stuff necessary to present a diagram in a user-friendly, interactive way.
It is a very practical feature because many teams have their WIKI or Confluence portal where they have to store documentation. Thanks to exporting to HTML they will be to update their pages, and moreover user will be able to see connections, zoom images, etc.

1 Like

Thanks for suggesting Tom. We happen to be working on a successor product that fits this: dbdocs.io. Does it look like it can solve your problem here?

Yes, but exactly no :slight_smile:
The mentioned project dbdocs.io doesn’t allow me to publish compilation results on my custom server. I have to use the address https://dbdocs.io/username/project_name , but I can’t share DB details outside the company. That why I ask for a feature that allows me to create a ZIP pack with HTML visualization, which I can put on internal Confluence or WIKI page.

Thanks Tom. Noted on that.

Could you elaborate a little bit more on this point:

but I can’t share DB details outside the company. That why I ask for a feature that allows me to create a ZIP pack with HTML visualization, which I can put on internal Confluence or WIKI page.

Our intention with dbdocs is that you can create a https://dbdocs.io/username/project_name doc, and has option to set it to either Public (anyone can view) or Private (only invite a selected number of people to view it).

On another note, perhaps our Embed feature of dbdiagram will make sense for you?

One of reasons for documentation download in dbdocs.io (which I see is an upcoming feature), could be to support a data mangement plan on a portal like Zenodo. For data backups that need backing a full database, it might be helpful to upload the database documentation as well in a self-hosted/offline format.

Thanks

I second Tom’s concerns with the product being limited to producing DBML renderings on holistics’ web host… Software architects like myself are constantly producing sketches of DB models, integration sequences and API endpoints. We need flexibility in where we can present this information. For both sequence diagrams and API endpoints, there are Confluence renderer plugins that give us the freedom to organize this information within our private documentation portal. If you make a Confluence plugin to render the DBML, a lot of people in my company would be interested in using your editor… Otherwise, we will likely stick to the harder methods of documenting DB models with UML and draw.io, which do have Confluence renderers. Presentation matters!
(please provide more info or a link to info on the “embed” feature though… I’m curious about that)

Was there an update on it? I am looking for Confluence plugins, where I can embed a protected project.