Tablegroups sharing tables not rendering

Hi,

i’ve noticed that, although it’s possible in dbdiagram to add a same table to several tablegroups, it’s not possible actually to render the dbdiagram on dbdocs: the webapp keeps loading, loading, loading …

if i comment a tablegroup containing tables included in other tablegroups, then the dbdocs.io webapp loads immediately.

best regards,

Guillaume

1 Like

Hi Guilaume,

Thank you for your post.

I am Huy Phung from the dbdocs team.

We currently do not allow users to add the same tables to multiple table groups since it is not elegant to render table groups with overlapping tables. So, it is not possible for dbdocs to render the diagram.

It would be nice if you could share the diagram you are interested in seeing when a table belongs to more than one group. We could collect your ideas for future enhancements.

Best regards,
Huy Phung

Hi Huy,

Thanks for your answer :slight_smile:

So, the idea behind that is to present part of a DB according to various perspective.
For example, i have these groups which define mainTablegroups:

This is because they’re all related to a very same main thematic.

But, i’d like also to represent a DB perspective when trying to describe a global process which may includes, for example, tables from mainParameters, mainUsers, mainCampaigns (but not all from each tablegroup).

It’s more to have Main Table Groups and Sub Table Groups. And, on the main diagram, having the Main TableGroups represented only. But then, when displaying (mainly in dbDocs) a sub group, having it represented the same way. With the possibility to arrange tables to see the table links.

And if it is to have a new keyword like subtablegroup subtablegroupname {...}, that would be magic :wink:

i hope i made it clearer :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

Thank you for your response.

Aside from your suggestions, do you think a Tagging function would assist you solve the existing problem?

For example,

• DBML allows users to apply tags to individual tables.
  • dbdocs will allow the user to filter tables using one or more tags.

Best regards,
Huy Phung

Hi Huy,

That might be a good idea, yes. With the possibility to include several tags per table.

Do you think it might be possible to have a diagram generated per tag ?

Best regards,

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

Do you think it might be possible to have a diagram generated per tag?

Yes, we can do it.

However, because there are so many potential improvements for dbdocs, it will take us longer to choose which additions should be prioritized for implementation. But, sure, the tagging feature is in our backlog, and we have collected your thoughts as valuable input for us if we adopt this feature in the future.

Best regards,
Huy Phung