[Tip] Use ChatGPT to simplify the DBML writing process

With the assistance of ChatGPT, you can efficiently and effectively convert your current Object-Relational Mapping (ORM) or Structured Query Language (SQL) code into Database Markup Language (DBML) and subsequently generate a comprehensive and detailed database diagram in an expeditious and seamless manner. Utilizing this powerful tool, not only can you save a considerable amount of time, but you can also ensure that your database is optimized and structured in a way that maximizes efficiency and functionality.

Converting from SQL or ORM to DBML

To convert existing SQL code to DBML, enter it into ChatGPT and ask for the conversion. If you’re working with an ORM tool like Entity Framework or Sequelize, ChatGPT can also help you quickly and easily convert your code to DBML.

This can be particularly useful if you are migrating from one database system to another. Instead of manually converting your SQL code to DBML, you can use ChatGPT to automate the process and save yourself a lot of time.

Converting from DBML to SQL or ORM

In addition to converting from ORM and SQL to DBML, ChatGPT can also help you convert from DBML to SQL or ORM. This can be useful if you need to generate SQL code for a specific database system or if you need to integrate your DBML code with an ORM tool.

To convert from DBML to SQL or ORM, simply enter your DBML code into ChatGPT and ask it to convert it to the desired format. ChatGPT will analyze your code and generate the equivalent SQL or ORM code for you.

Conclusion

To summarize, ChatGPT is a powerful tool that can assist you in quickly and easily writing DBML code. ChatGPT can save you a lot of time and effort when converting from ORM, SQL, or DBML. Automating the conversion process allows you to focus on more important tasks and deliver higher-quality software in less time. So, combine ChatGPT and dbdiagram to see how they can assist you with your next project.

5 Likes

Yeah, this works for simple examples <100 (maybe 200) lines. I tried it with a real-life (~800 lines) project and it became totally useless in understanding the context

3 Likes

xịn luôn anh ơi, giờ convert thoải mái.

5 Likes

@Thi_Nguyen while this is neat, it’d be better if dbdiagrams supported integrations with ORM tools, or implemented ORM features directly. That way, there would be a single source of truth instead of having to maintain the diagramming and ORM code separately. Any such plans?

2 Likes

Hi @kipmats,

Thank you for interest in embedding DbDiagram deeply into your workflow (specifically for case, into ORM tools).

Any plan yet?

Not yet, we’re taking it into consideration. For now we do see Integration with existing ORM tools a great opportunity for ORM users to easily access to dbdiagram.

If you’re looking existing ORM integration or workaround for a specifically framework, please refer to these sources from our public community:

For us to provide you more updates and features related to ORM integration in the future, can you help us clarify questions below:

• (1) What programming languages and ORM package are you using?
  • (2) In which use case are you using dbdiagram for?
  • (3) Does the method of using chatgpt for converting to dbml would suffice your need?

Regards,

1 Like

Thank you for your response @Phat_Nguyen_Truong. The integrations makes sense, look forward to seeing any officially-supported plugins in the near future, for now the ones you shared look good.

(1) What programming languages and ORM package are you using?

I’m just starting my project but looking to use TS and Prisma

• (2) In which use case are you using dbdiagram for?

Primarily Entity Modeling and documentation for team members

• (3) Does the method of using chatgpt for converting to dbml would suffice your need?

Somewhat, but as @thedevdavid remarked above, GPT fails to correctly generate the full schema code for my 15+ models

1 Like

Glad you find it helpful. If you have any issue or need more advanced integration other than just using the prisma-dbml-generator package, please let me know.

Have a nice day @kipmats!

1 Like

Actually what I meant to add in my earlier reply above was that I had started with DBML and now needed to generate the equivalent ORM code. In short, it’d be neat if there was a two-way integration between the diagramming and ORM tools :slight_smile:

1 Like