Using dbdocs & dbdiagram with ORM tools

For those who are interested in integrating dbdiagram in the ORM tools that you’re using, this post serves as a collection of reference tools, tutorials, and work-around to help you achieve that.

Currently, the way to use your ORM models with dbdiagram and dbdocs is to:

• (1) convert your ORM models into dbml - a database markup language from dbdiagram.io
  • (2) then you can visualize it through dbdiagram.io interface or generate documentation via dbdocs.io

1. Convert to dbml

Based on the languages and frameworks that you’re using, there’s a specific tool for that:

2. Visualize

• :bar_chart: For visualizing and collaborating on database design, simply copy the output from step 1 into dbdiagram.io. Voila!
  • :page_with_curl: For database documentation, use dbdocs CLI to quickly generate documentation from generated dbml file from step 1 Quick Start Guide from dbdocs

3. Official support?

Not yet, we’re taking it into consideration. For now we do see Integration with existing ORM tools a great opportunity for ORM users to easily access to dbdiagram and dbdocs.

If you’re actively looking for an active support from dbdiagram, can you help us clarify questions below:

• (1) What programming languages and ORM package are you using?
  • (2) In which use case are you using dbdiagram & dbdocs for? How frequent?
  • (3) Do current methods of using dbml converter (above) suffice your needs? Why and why not?
  • (4) (Optional) Are you open to have online conversation with us (dbdiagram team) for to study more about your use cases?

Regards,

1 Like
  • (1) What programming languages and ORM package are you using?
    • SQL Server, C#, Blazor, Entity Framework Core, .NET
  • (2) In which use case are you using dbdiagram & dbdocs for?
    • Demonstrate plans for new project
    • Show how to build JOINs and extract data from the database
    • Show how to build stored procedures and functions
    • Describe how stored procedures and functions interact to maintain our database
  • (3) Do current methods of using dbml converter (above) suffice your needs? Why and why not?
    • No, I was hoping for a mssql schema script to dbml directly when I clicked this post. Might be a fun project to build off these others!
  • (4) (Optional) Are you open to have online conversation with us (dbdiagram team) for to study more about your use cases?
    • I’ll reply on here. I haven’t used the dbdiagram tool very much (a couple projects, some demos) but have enjoyed how simple it is to spin up a good looking flow.
1 Like